Sections: Education Research Publications Teaching Activities Skills
- Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN. August 2017
- Advisor: Dr. Jane Cleland-Huang
- Dissertation Title: Semantically Enhanced Traceability Across Software and System-related Natural Language Artifacts
- M.S. in Information and Communication Engineering
Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China. June 2009
- B.S. in Information Engineering
Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, China. July 2006
Research Assistant in Computer Science and Engineering Department, University of Notre Dame. June 2016 – November 2017
Semantically Enhanced Software Traceability
- Designed and implemented accurate trace link generation system that utilizes Recurrent Neural Network (RNN) to extract semantic information from software artifact.
- Evaluated and compared the performance of different RNN variations with different configurations for the purpose of software traceability.
Research Assistant in College of Computing and Digital Media, DePaul University. January 2013 – May 2016
Domain Ontology Construction
- Designed and implemented platform utilizing natural language processing and data mining techniques including Syntax Analysis, Association Rule Mining, Topic Modeling, etc. to extract domain knowledge supervised by software traceability data.
- Ranked generated domain fact to users based on heuristics for creating domain ontology.
Intelligent Domain-Specific Traceability
- Designed and implemented natural language processing algorithm to extract semantic information representing software key functions from software artifacts such as requirement specifications, design descriptions.
- Designed knowledge base containing domain specific concepts and relations. Implemented algorithm that queries knowledge base for supporting inference during traceability activities.
- Designed and implemented intelligent domain specific traceability system that could establish accurate trace links between software artifacts and generate the underlying rationales explaining those links.
- Researcher in Communication Technology Lab, Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd., June 2009 – July 2011
- Designed and implemented the image processing algorithm to extract and correct the business card and whiteboard regions from images with complex background.
- Designed and implemented the fuzzy image comparing algorithm. Developed the corresponding application for Windows, Linux, and OS X.
- Implemented new image processing modules and modified existing modules to improve performances for the image processing platform which is used throughout Fuji Xerox.
- Visiting Research Fellow in Communication Technology Lab, Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd., October 2007 – August 2008
- Participated in designing and implementing the "Sensing UI" platform (a novel human-computer interface based on 3D tracking technologies) and took in charge of the image processing module.
- Proposed an improved object model for the current "Sensing UI" prototype and developed its feature extraction algorithm.
- Lin, J., Liu, Y., Guo, J. Cleland-Huang, J., Goss, W., Liu, W., ... & Rasin, A. (2017). TiQi: a natural language interface for querying software project data. In Proceedings of the 32nd IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering - ASE'17 (pp. 973-977). IEEE. Best Tool Paper Award
- Cheng, J., Anderson, D., Putnam, C., & Guo, J. (2017). Leveraging Design Patterns to Support Designer-Therapist Collaboration When Ideating Brain Injury Therapy Games. In Proceedings of the Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play - CHI PLAY '17 (pp. 291-303). ACM. Best Paper Award
- Guo, J., Cheng, J., Cleland-Huang, J. (2017). Semantically Enhanced Software Traceability Using Deep Learning Techniques. In Proceedings of the 39th International Conference on Software Engineering - ICSE’17 (pp. 3-14). IEEE.
- Guo, J., Gibiec M., Cleland-Huang, J. (2017). Tackling the Term-Mismatch Problem in Automated Trace Retrieval. In Empirical Software Engineering - EMSE 22(3) (pp. 1103-1142). Springer.
- Cheng, J., Putnam, C., Guo, J. (2016). “Always a Tall Order”: Values and Practices of Professional Game Designers of Serious Games for Health. In Proceedings of the 3rd ACM SIGCHI annual symposium on Computer-human interaction in play - CHI PLAY'16 (pp. 217-228). ACM.
- Guo, J. (2016). Ontology Learning and its Application in Software-Intensive Projects. In Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Software Engineering - ICSE'16 Companion (pp. 843-846). ACM.
- Guo, J., Rahimi, M., Cleland-Huang, J., Rasin, A., Hayes J.H., and Vierhauser, M. (2016). Cold-Start Software Analytics. In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories - MSR'16 (pp. 142-153). ACM.
- Guo, J., Monaikul, N., and Cleland-Huang, J. (2015). Trace Links Explained: An Automated Approach for Generating Rationales. In Proceedings of the 23st IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference - RE'15 (pp. 202–207). IEEE.
- Guo, J., Monaikul, N., Plepel, C., and Cleland-Huang, J. (2014). Towards an intelligent domain-specific traceability solution. In Proceedings of The 29th ACM/IEEE international conference on Automated software engineering - ASE’14 (pp. 755–766). ACM.
- Cleland-Huang, J., Guo, J. (2014). Towards more intelligent trace retrieval algorithms. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Realizing Artificial Intelligence Synergies in Software Engineering - RAISE'14 (pp. 1–6). ACM.
- Guo, J., Cleland-Huang, J., and Berenbach, B. (2013). Foundations for an expert system in domain-specific traceability. In Proceedings of the 21st IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference - RE'13 (pp. 42–51). IEEE.
- Guo, J., Onishi, T. (2014). Subject region detecting apparatus. U.S. Patent 8,805,077, filed November 8, 2011 and issued August 12, 2014.
- Guo, J., Onishi, T. (2014). Image processing apparatus, image processing method, and computer readable medium. U.S. Patent 8,923,610, filed October 31, 2011 and issued December 30, 2014.
- Guest Lecturer. Coordinated series of debates on Ethics in Drone Use.
CSE-40773: Software Projects with Drones. University of Notre Dame. Fall, 2016.
- Guest Lecturer. Lectured on Design Patterns and JavaFX tool, Organized Lab Activities.
SE350: Object-Oriented Software Development. DePaul University. Spring, 2016.
- Invited Speaker. Title: Ontology Learning for Software-Intensive Projects.
CSC 480: Artificial Intelligence. DePaul University. Spring, 2016.
- Invited Speaker. Title: Towards an Intelligent Domain-Specific Traceability Solution.
CSC 395: Research Colloquium. DePaul University. Fall, 2014.
- Project Mentor. Managed and mentored two graduate students
who served as research assistants on
software engineering research projects. DePaul University. 2013-2014.
- Invited Speaker. Title: The Domain-Specific Expert Traceability System
CSC 395: Research Colloquium. DePaul University. Fall, 2013.
- Co-Instructor. Lectured on Image Processing and Pattern Recognition.
Internal Tutorial. Fuji Xerox. Fall, 2009.
- Program Committee Member, The 25rd IEEE International RE Conference - Data Track, Lisbon, Portugal. 2017
- Organizing Committee Member, The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd International Workshop on AIRE. 2014-2016.
- Program Committee Member, The 5th International Workshop on RAISE, Austin, United States. 2016
- Program Committee Member, The 8th International Symposium on SST, Florence, Italy. 2015.
- Student Volunteer, ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering . 2016.
- Student Volunteer, The 23rd IEEE International RE Conference, Ottawa, Canada. 2015.
- Student Volunteer, The 19th ACM SIGKDD Conference, Chicago, United States. 2013.
- Student Volunteer, The 20th IEEE International RE Conference, Chicago, United States. 2012.
- Development Environments: Visual Studio, Eclipse IDE
- Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X
- Programming: Java, C/C++, C#, Matlab
- Other libraries and tools: Protégé, Octave, OpenCV, GATE, and Qt
- Proficient in English (TOFEL iBT 115/120)
- Intermediate in Japanese (Three years working experience in Japan)
- Native Chinese